◆ 04/2017 – present: Professor, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
◆ 01/2016 – 04/2017: Associate Professor/Reader, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
◆ 12/2015 – present. Deputy Head of School (Research), School of Software, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
◆ 01/2015 – 12/2015: Senior Lecturer, Centre for Quantum Computation and Intelligent Systems, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
◆ 05/2013 - 01/2015: DECRA Fellow, School of Information Technology & Electrical Engineering, The University of Queensland, Australia
◆ 05/2011 - 05/2013: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
◆ 08/2010 - 04/2011: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Information Technology & Electrical Engineering, The University of Queensland, Australia
◆ 12/2008 - 09/2009: Research Associate, School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
◆ The THUMOS Action Recognition Challenge 2015 @CVPR. 1st place, organized by researchers from Google, Stanford, UCF and Fudan University
◆ MSR-Bing Image Retrieval Challenge ICME 2014: 1st place, organized by Microsoft Research and Bing.
◆ TRECVID competition: 1st in LOC, 2016.
◆ TRECVID competition: 1st in pre-specified event detection 2011, organized by the National Institute of Standard and Technology, USA.
◆ TRECVID competition: 1st in Surveillance event detection 2012, organized by the National Institute of Standard and Technology, USA.
◆ ILSVRC (ImageNet) 2014 Classification with Provided Data Only]. 3rd place among all university teams (7th among all teams)
◆ TRECVID 2012 Multimedia Event Detection and Recounting, 2012, Ranked 1st place in Pre-specific events, 2nd place in Ad-hoc MED.
◆ National Excellent Doctoral Dissertation Award of China, (graduated in 2010).
◆ Zhejiang Provincial Scientific Award, First Price 2015.
◆ Google Faculty Research Award for efficient video analysis. 2017.
◆ Our work on multiple person multiple camera tracking was elected as the 13 Incredible Tech Inventions You Won't Believe You Missed In 2013 by the Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/19/tech-inventions- 2013_n_4453556.html).
◆ Area chairs and other chairs for top conferences like ACM MM, ICCV, ICPR, etc.
◆ Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award, 2013
1. Liang Zheng, Yi Yang, Qi Tian. SIFT Meets CNN: A Decade Survey of Instance Retrieval. Accepted by IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), 2017.
2. Linchao Zhu, Zhongwen Xu, Yi Yang and Alexander G. Hauptmann. Uncovering Temporal Context for Video Question Answering. International Journal of Computer Vision, Volume 124, Issue 3, pp 409-421 2017.
3. X. Chang, Y. Yu, Y. Yang and E. P. Xing, Semantic Pooling for Complex Event Analysis in Untrimmed Videos, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, (2016)
4. Xiaojun Chang, Zhigang Ma, Ming Lin, Yi Yang, Alexander G. Hauptmann:Feature Interaction Augmented Sparse Learning for Fast Kinect Motion Detection. IEEE Trans. Image Processing 26(8): 3911-3920 (2017)
5. Chuang Gan, Yi Yang, Linchao Zhu, Deli Zhao, Yueting Zhuang. Recognizing an Action Using Its Name: A Knowledge-Based Approach. International Journal of Computer Vision. 2016
6. Yan Yan, Yi Yang, Deyu Meng, Gaowen Liu, Wei Tong, Alexander G. Hauptmann, Nicu Sebe. "Event Oriented Dictionary Learning for Complex Event Detection". IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 24(6): 1867-1878, 2015.
7. Z. Ma, Y. Yang, N. Sebe and A. Hauptmann, "Knowledge Adaptation with Partially Shared Features for Event Detection Using Few Exemplars", in IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 36(9): 1789-1802, 2014.
8. Z. Ma, Y. Yang, N. Sebe, S. Yan and A. Hauptmann, "Harnessing Lab Knowledge for Real-world Action Recognition", International Journal of Computer Vision. 109(1-2): 60-73, 2014.
9. Y. Yang, Z. Ma, A. Hauptmann and N. Sebe, "Feature Selection for Multimedia Analysis by Sharing Information among Multiple Tasks", in IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 15(3):661-669, 2013.
10. Yi Yang, Zhigang Ma, Feiping Nie, Xiaojun Chang, Alexander Hauptmann. "Multi-Class Active Learning by Uncertainty Sampling with Diversity Maximization." International Journal of Computer Vision, 113(2):113-127, 2015.
11. Y. Yang, F. Nie, D. Xu, J. Luo, Y. Zhuang and Y. Pan, "A Multimedia Retrieval Framework based on Semi-Supervised Ranking and Relevance Feedback", in IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence34(5):723-742, 2012
12 Zhedong Zheng, Liang Zheng and Yi Yang. Unlabeled Samples Generated by GAN Improve the Person Re-identification Baseline in vitro. International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), Venice, Italy, 2017
13. Hehe Fan, Xiaojun Chang, De Cheng, Yi Yang, Dong Xu and Alexander G. Hauptmann. Complex Event Detection by Identifying Reliable Shots from Untrimmed Videos. International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), Venice, Italy, 2017.
14. X. Chang, Y. Yu and Y. Yang, Robust Top-k Multi-class SVM for Visual Category Recognition, ACM KDD 2017.
15. Linchao Zhu, Zhong。wen Xu, Yi Yang, Bidirectional Multirate Reconstruction for Temporal Modeling in Videos, CVPR 2017.
16. Liang Zheng, Hengheng Zhang, Shaoyan Sun, Manmohan Chandraker, Yi Yang, and Qi Tian . Person Re-identification in the Wild. CVPR 2017.
17. Zhongwen Xu , Linchao Zhu and Yi Yang, Few-Shot Object Recognition from Machine-Labeled Web Images, CVPR 2017.
18. Xuanyi Dong, Junshi Huang, Yi Yang, Shuicheng Yan. More is Less: A More Complicated Network with Less Inference Complexity. CVPR 2017.
19. M. Luo, F. Nie, X. Chang, Y. Yang, A. Hauptmann, and Q. Zheng, Probabilistic Non-negative Matrix Factorization and its Robust Extensions for Topic Modeling, AAAI 2017.
20. Yan Yan, Tianbao Yang, Yi Yang, Jianhui Chen. A Framework of Online Learning with Imbalanced Streaming Data. In Thirty-First AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) 2017.